· A unique way of learning through play in an outdoor, preferably woodland environment. It is linked to the curriculum but is a flexible, child-led-learning process.
· Forest School provides a safe environment to enable risk taking and develops a child’s own risk management. Due to the higher risk environment it has a higher adult to child ratio.
· Promotes independent learning and builds on self-esteem by giving the children small achievable tasks.
· It should be regular sessions over a long term to enable the children to get used to the environment and develop skills and build relationships.
· Encourages the child to become aware of their environment by giving them a chance to use all of their senses and come to appreciate and respect it’s processes and cycles.
· Helps a child to develop an awareness of nature and how it works, and become aware of themselves and be part of a vaster world.
· Encourages the children to become environmentally responsible and to respect nature.