Design and Technology – Intent Statement
At Leigh St Mary’s we understand that there are essential characteristics that designers demonstrate. The intent of the design and technology curriculum from Early Years to Year 6 is to build these characteristics within our pupils.
The essential characteristics of designers are:
- Significant levels of originality and the willingness to take creative risks to produce innovative ideas and prototypes.
- An excellent attitude to learning and independent working.
- The ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others.
- The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop and exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
- The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials and working safely.
- A thorough knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products.
- The ability to apply mathematical knowledge.
- The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.
- A passion for the subject and knowledge of up-t-date technological innovations in materials, products and systems.
(The Essentials Curriculum, Chris Quigley Education)