Leigh St Mary’s Church of England Primary School
Mathematics – Intent Statement
At Leigh St Mary’s we understand that there are essential characteristics that good mathematicians demonstrate. The intent of the mathematics curriculum from Early Years to Year 6 is to build these characteristics within our pupils.
The essential characteristics of mathematicians are:
- An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics.
- A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics.
- Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual.
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, showing a confidence of success.
- The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes.
- The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
- Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques.
- A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
- A commitment to and passion for the subject of mathematics.
(The Essentials Curriculum, Chris Quigley Education)